Monday, January 5, 2015

The word for 2015: Habit

So, I'd forgotten that I even took on a word last year. Interestingly the things that I named in that post were some of the things that I tried to work towards last year, but there is still work to do and that is why I have settled on habit as my word for this year as I think that long term what we need individually and as a family are good habits that nurture and habits that stick when things become stressful. With that in mind I've been reading a bit about habits. I expect two books in particular to shape my approach this year.

Once a routine becomes habit it requires less brain power to complete, reducing the willpower and decisions required, allowing energy to go towards other tasks.

The Power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and business by Charles Duhigg. This book looks at some of the scientific research into habits as well as real world examples. Main ideas to take away are the need to understand the habit loop, being aware of the cue, the routine and the reward involved in our habitual responses.

Minihabits: Smaller, Bigger Results by Stephen Guise. The main idea is that mini habits require less willpower to turn into an automatic habit, they are so easy it would be silly not to do it. Don't break the chain of days completed (although I'm going to have Sundays off). This system is flexible as I can do as much as I want but just completing the mini-habit is counted as success.

So I've picked four areas for improvement and associated mini goals.
  1. Better habits - check my mini-habits off.
  2. Improve time and distance running, plus core, flexibility and strength - put on my sneakers.
  3. Read more non-fiction - read 2 pages of non-fiction book.
  4. Complete half-finished photo books - Work for 2mins on a photo book.

1 comment:

alexa said...

I love the idea of mini-habits, and off to google! For those of us with little extended time, mini-anything sounds good. (Have you come across Zen Habits? I found the Zen to Done book very useful). This sounds such a productive word ...