Thursday, January 1, 2015

Goodbye 2014 ... Hello 2015

IMG_1065

We had a cake to celebrate. I'm glad to say goodbye to 2014 and hello 2015. After the drama of 2013 I was looking forward to 2014, and while there's been some good things happen, it was also a year with major stress that threatened to derail some extended family relationships, work and our financial situation. By November I decided enough was enough and was prepared to walk away if a resolution was not forthcoming ... luckily we turned the corner in time for Christmas and both Hubby and I are looking forward to new beginnings in 2015. The good news is that, though it all, as a family our relationships stood the test and we had good support from close friends and other family members.

In the stress many of my good intentions were derailed but I did have some wins ...
  • I lost the extra couple of kilos I'd put on in 2013 and took up running to support The Little Girls cross country efforts. I'm now around the same weight I was when I finished high school. I began the Couch to 5K program and against expectations continued on with the 10K program when I finished that. I am still running. This is the longest I have managed to keep running without having knee problems and am currently running 10km in just under 60min.
  • We successfully negotiated a year with a year 9 teenage girl and I am really happy that we have managed to continue our close relationship. and avoid major issues. The Big Girl has surrounded herself with a good groups of friends and is making good choices. She is still very positive about me being involved in her life and she has appreciated me being her basketball team manager this season. At this stage in our life a lot of time is spent ferrying around kids to their activities and being their number one supporter and that is OK.
  • I completed two more subjects towards my MA(Theol), achieving excellent marks. 
  • I've begun making some changes to my diet for more energy and less sugar. I've tackled breakfast so far, increasing the seeds and nuts and reducing sugar by making my own toasted muesli and bread and including berries with my muesli.
  • I read more than the previous year, including more non-fiction.

The stuff that I'm not so happy about ...
  • I'm generally feeling quite fatigued physically and mentally (possibly due to extended stress) and I am having problems with sore shoulders.
  • I only completed one photobook and while I've got some pages started for each month in our 2014 PL I've only completed three months. I also let my photography slide last year.
  • I had planned on doing at least one fun thing as a family together each month but failed to follow through on this.
  • My spiritual disciplines were decidedly undisciplined. Although I did have a period of four or five months in the middle of the year that I was pretty consistent with these.

In 2015 I would like to ...

  • Maintain my weight and increase my running distance and speed. I also play tennis once a week but need to add in some core, strength and flexibility work.
  • Continue reading, make sure I taken notes on my non-fiction reading and keep better records.
  • Write more consistently.
  • Complete some of the photobooks I've started, keep up to date with PL2015 and record a bit more here and in my journal. (I'll follow up with detailed plans sometime next week)
  • Continue building family relationships. Support The Little Girl in her various activities (she's just moved to 6 sessions of swimming a week), help The Boy with his organisation skills in preparation for high school in 2016 and help The Big Girl build a solid base of study skills, organisation and knowledge to take with her into VCE.
  • Reduce bickering and sniping in the family. Also make time for activities as a whole family.
  • Get some discipline with my spiritual disciplines.
  • Spend some time with Hubby.

Monday I plan to share my One Little Word for 2015 and a bit more about my action plan for this year.

Do you like to make a fresh start in the New Year too?



1 comment:

alexa said...

I love fresh starts at any time of year, Melissa! and I always enjoy this time of year for one when things are visually - in our northern hemisphere - lean and spare. Your honesty speaks volumes, as does your loving endurance, and I wish you all good things for 2015 :). Yes, I have a word for this year, which fills me with sparkle!