Saturday, July 12, 2014

Adventures with a Bullet Journal: Starting Out

IMG_0717

I've been a journal keeper from way back. Not a consistent, fill-a-book-a-year journal writer but picking up, and writing in bursts and starts from when I was in year 11 at high school. What I've written varies from a recounts of the days events, to major venting, to-do lists and a record of my bible reading and written prayers. My old journals were particularly handy this year when I had to give a 45min reflection on my life and faith. Reading back I was surprised how much I had forgotten doing when I was in year 12.

This year I have been wanting to write more. Writing helps me sort through what I'm thinking, but I also need a system for personal organisation. I've tried various systems: todo list written each day in a notepad, a trello GDT system (this was my favourite, moving the cards around appealed to my preference for visual cues), but I really wanted a system that includes everything ... uni notes, quotes, random thoughts, my lists, my bible and prayer notes and I want to reduce the time I spend staring at a screen, not increase it. There is something quite satisfying about curling up on the couch with a notebook.

I may be slightly obsessed with Pinterest and earlier this year I was browsing my feed when this pin by Cate caught my eye. I repinned and thought I'll come back later to check it out. Later is now. I've decided to start a Bullet journal as my base organising tool. You can read about it here or watch this short video.

The beauty of this system is that I can customise it and include whatever I want. For instance I still intend to keep my calendar digital, so no monthly calendar page for me. Inspired by Alexa and this gorgeous blog, I'm sorely tempted by the thought of including some more creative pages  ... time will tell but the option is always there.

The photo up the top? That's my new journal, a Leuchtturm grid notebook with the addition of a pen-holder. I chose the grid because my handwriting can get quite messy and the 5mm grids help keep everything under control and on the smaller side. The other bonus with this notebook is that it comes with numbered pages and contents at the front.

I would love to here from you with tips if you keep a bullet (or in fact any kind) of journal.

3 comments:

Cate Brickell said...

Thank you for the link to the grid book, I love my composition book, but really want to try a grid book next year. I'm absolutely loving my bullet journal, best decision I made this year!

Tamara Thornton butler said...

Just loved your post on Journaling. Just by chance I do Cates style of Journaling. I call it my lists. I love the way she does her diary though. I am sure going to look into this for next year.

alexa said...

Thank-you for the mention :). I love the look of your journal and I find the addition of the pen holder on mine one of the best journalling decisions I have made! Itching to go and look at those intriguing links and looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds and progresses!