Thursday, January 2, 2014

Resolutions, goals and all those New Year things ...



There's something so inviting about the New Year. A kind of blank slate and (well for me at least) the added bonus of one whole month away from all the usual expectations and commitments. Time to start some new habits, finish some things that have been hanging around way too long unfinished, recharge the batteries and think about what I want 2014 to look like. I've picked my word and thought a little bit about what that might look like.

Last year I had a love list and each month I looked forward with in anticipation of things I wanted to do and had to do and back to see how my list from the previous month went ... this year I'm going with something a little different. I wrote that I wanted to build (or reinstate) health, renewing habits; nurture our family; and support the kids. With that in mind I am going to keep a running list of goals for the whole year, moving forward in these areas but also with some of those unfinished projects that are still important to me. At least once each month my aim will be to review where I am, what I have accomplished and where I need to go, but I'm not going to limit myself to changing things up to the end of the month.

This list will be a combination of different types of goals:

  • One off projects.
  • Habits to Try. These are changes or routines that I am trying out on a temporary basis to assess whether they are something that I want to implement on a permanent basis. Inspired by Becoming Minimalist with a little tweak of my own. Daily habits I will continue until I reach 29 days straight, weekly habits until I reach 6 consecutive weeks and monthly habits for 6 months.
  • The habits I decide to keep will be ... wait for it ... habits to keep.

THE LIST FOR 2014

I've broken it up into loose categories but some of the habits will overlap.

Personal Organisation:

  • Daily Habit to Try: Digital fast from 8:30pm to 8:30am. With the stress of last year it was easy to withdraw into the digital world, procrastinating with the internet and iphone games. My sleep is also not that great so I am experimenting with a digital fast. This is one I began before Christmas and I am now up to 18 days.
Self-care:
  • Daily Habit to Try: Flossing. I know sad isn't it, but I really, really let standards drop round here.

Physical:

  • Lose the two kilos I put on last year.
  • Daily habit to Try: walk

Faith:

  • Pick a bible reading plan for the year.

Intellectual:

  • Enrol for first semester uni.

Family: 

Parenting:

Creative:

  • Make plans for the blog this year.
  • Settle on what to do for recording the everyday in 2014.
  • Daily Habits to Try: write. I don't know what it's like for you but it's noisy in my head. Words seem to chase themselves round and round in there but once they're sorted out, made sense of and written down they stop making quite so much noise.
  • Weekly Habits to Try: Edit the photos and video from the previous week. Put into whatever format I eventually decide upon. I want to be able to have something finished not long after the end of the year.
  • Do the cover for the Whistler-China photo book. I've completed the pages in the booksmart software but I want ot design my own cover.

No comments: