Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Christmas Post

Between preparations for Christmas, including hosting Christmas lunch for 22 people, and attending a funeral for a very old family friend yesterday, it's been fairly busy round here. Instead of my normal weekly links I thought I'd catch you up and share some of the things that we have been, or are going to be part of our Christmas celebrations this year.

IMG_7106

Last weekend we had a Christmas lunch with my family before my brother headed off to Park City for the ski season. Afterwards we went into the city to look at some of the sights including the City Square ... catching the tail-end of Crown's Christmas Fantastic
IMG_7098

the Langham Light Show ...
IMG_7103

  and the Myer Windows.
IMG_7110

For the rest of the week I've been trying to finish off my work (not completely successfully), Christmas shopping and running around for the final week of swimming, soccer and tennis for the kids this year. The kids still found plenty of time to make use of their Christmas presents from their Aunties and Uncles.
IMG_7116

We've decided to simplify Christmas lunch a little this year although everyone pitches in so we only need to cook the ham and the potatoes.

The menu:
Glazed Ham. We'll do this on the Weber, I've ordered an 8kg ham from the butcher.
Rolled turkey breasts. I thought about putting them together myself but the poultry shop at Camberwell market had about 5 different stuffings to choose from and in the interests of simplifying I decided to get them ready to go with cranberry and chestnut stuffing.
Roast potatoes.
Green salad
Chinese Noodle Salad
Steamed Chocolate Pudding
Plum Pudding

I settled on a colour scheme of silver, green and red. I'll be doing something a little like this for the centre of the adult table. For the kids I'll move our Jesse tree across and print out a modified version of these Christmas placemats.

Have a very Merry Christmas, I'll be off afterwards for an extended beach holiday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

Merry Christmas Melissa. Enjoy your time away, we head off tomorrow and I can't wait!

alexa said...

Hoping you have wonderful time and a great holiday - I am still getting my head around the seasonal differences between your country and mine. :)