Thursday, July 26, 2012

Oreo Cake

IMG_6290

Inspired by this recipe which while looking yummy contained some strange fake cream ingredient so I decided to modify it, avoiding that ingredient.

You'll need a chocolate cake, the original recipe used a packet mix but you can use your favourite recipe for a moist chocolate cake. I used the chocolate birthday cake from the AWW Kids in the Kitchen. You want two round cakes. Level the top of one of the cakes, this will be your bottom layer.

Beat 250g of cream cheese with 1/2 cup of castor sugar. Whip 300ml of cream. Fold into whipped cream  a packet of roughly crushed Oreo cookies into the cream cheese mixture. Spread this onto the bottom cake layer then place the second cake on top.

Microwave 100g of dark chocolate with 50g of butter on high until the butter is melted. Stir until the chocolate is melted and spread over the top of the cake.

This was a hit with the kids, my sister and my small group ... so a win ... and it looks so good too! One tip, just make sure you refrigerate it before you cut it otherwise cutting it results in a bit of a mess. It works much better if the filling is firm so it doesn't squeeze out all over the place.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That is a spectacular cake Melissa! I am not sure if it is lunchbox suitable - but who cares, if I make that I'll probably want to eat it all myself!

alexa said...

My, that's a lot of chocolate-y deliciousness ...