Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I had intended to ...

engage in some parental boasting today on account of the girls athletic prowess but my day has been a fail, multiple balls have been dropped, so in the interests of attempting to scrape a pass ... at least in being a mother ... if not in any other area ... I'm posting this preprepared post ...


Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, SpyBonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the story Deitrich Bonhoeffer, a German theologian who opposed Hitler and was subsequently executed. I found the whole book fascinating. Eric Metaxas did a wonderful job of telling Bonhoeffer's story from childhood through to theological studies, his opposition to Hitler's German Christians and his incarceration and death. Never dull or boring, the author made good use of letters, sermons and other writings as well as observations given by the people who knew him.

I found the inclusion of some details of his theology which drove his actions in opposing Hitler fascinating. There was plenty that was thought provoking and I would love to read some of Bonhoeffer's writings.


No comments: