Sunday, July 17, 2011

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You AreOne Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book has been on my currently reading list for a few months now, not because it's bad, quite the opposite in fact. This is a book to be savoured, to leave time between chapters to mull over what's been read which I was doing when interrupted by a friend in crisis and not having much wisdom of my own to offer her, I sent her home with my copy of One Thousand Gifts as a gift, not to be returned, even though I was a couple of chapters from the end. I finally hauled myself off to the bookstore, picked up a replacement for myself and finished the last two chapters.

Ann poetically and beautifully puts words to what's in her heart as we follow her in her story, from tragic first memory, to counting the gifts, and the realisation of God's great grace. More often than not she manages to articulate the groans of my own heart and has managed to grasp much of what has existed in fleeting fragments in my own thoughts. She brings all this together into the light. There were many Aha! moments as I read this book. I can't recommend this highly enough. Go get it.

No comments: