Thursday, May 5, 2011

Moroccan Chicken

Wednesdays are a little crazy round here. I pick The Boy up from school at 3:15pm then rush to the girls school by 3:35pm. Big Girl has swimming from 4-5, The Boy has piano from 4:10-4:30. The The Boy has swimming 5:30-6pm, Big Girl has diving 5:30-6:15pm and Little Girl has swimming 6-7pm. Needless to say there is no time in the afternoon for cooking. Hubby was interstate yesterday but luckily a friends dad bought Little girl home from swimming and I put the dinner on in the morning using my slow cooker, which really does make life easier.

This is a recipe I made up myself inspired by this chicken tagine recipe.

Ingredients:

1tbs oil
2 onions chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1kg chicken thighs
1tsp paprika
1tsp turmeric
2tsp ground coriander seeds
1tbs ground cummin
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 lemon sliced
handful of green olives
1/4 cup flaked almond
1 cup frozen peas

Method:

Mix spices together, toss chicken in half spice mix.

Heat oil in pan. (My slow cooker has an inset pan that can go on the stove so I do it all in this). Cook onions and garlic 2min, add rest of spices cook until onions are soft. Add chicken and brown all over.

Put into slow cooker. Add stock, lemons, almonds and olives. I used slivered almond this time, it's just what I happened to have in the pantry. Cook on low for 6hrs.

IMG_2333


The Boy had forgotten his bathers and Big Girl her towel yesterday so I gave Big Girl, Little girl's towel and we dropped home after The Boy's piano lesson. While I was home I decided to throw some carrots in the dish so I didn't need to make an extra side dish of veges. You can really do whatever you feel like.

When I got home from swimming I threw in the thawed, frozen peas and made some cous cous to go with it. Dinner on the table 10 mins after we walk in the door is not too bad.

The rest of the family don't like the lemon in this dish but I love it, so I make them pick it out ... I am the cook after all.

No comments: