Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

The Other QueenThe Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I love historical fiction and especially those about actual historical people. I have read and enjoyed other books by Philippa Gregory so this should have been a good read for me but I really just ploughed through to see how it ended (maybe I should have just consulted the encyclopaedia and be done with it). The story was written from three first person perspectives, Queen Mary, Bess of Hardwick and her husband. Each chapter was very short, some only three pages in length and from a different viewpoint and this hindered the flow of the story for me. I found myself going back and checking who's viewpoint it currently was because the voice of each narrator wasn't different enough to be obvious.

The action starts at the beginning of Queen Mary's time under house arrest with Bess of Hardwick but I would have loved the story to have begun earlier and covered what must have been a very interesting story. I would love to hear if anyone knows of other author's who have written about this period of Mary's life.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am so sorry I have taken this long into the new year to drop by - things have been crazy to say the least ... I am beginning to think that you are very wise to have moved out while your building is going on - perhaps you have to though? Anyway - very good move!

Thanks for this review, I usually love Philippa Gregory as well, this one doesn't sound as good as the others.