Sunday, January 2, 2011

Looking Forward into 2011

I'm looking forward to this year.  It looks to be a big one of change and new things ... some I'm already committed to ... others are bound to be a surprise.

Looking forward is always a difficult thing.  I'm conscious of the words in James 4:13-15
You should know better than to say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to the city. We will do business there for a year and make a lot of money!" What do you know about tomorrow? How can you be so sure about your life? It is nothing more than mist that appears for only a little while before it disappears. You should say, "If the Lord lets us live, we will do these things."
I'm wary of making too many plans and holding on too tightly to those plans.  I want to make sure that I have enough space to do the things that God prompts me to do during the year and I don't want to move into the space where it's all about me and my plans.  I want to let God move in me.

With that in mind if God wills:


  • Our house will be knocked down in the next few weeks, and our new one should be finished by September.
  • I'm almost 100% certain I'll be joining the education cohort at my church run by Whitley ... I'm going back to uni!!  That's 36 contact hours plus homework :) for the first semester.
  • I'm going into my third year leading small group.  Our church has a policy that every leader will be mentored and be mentoring someone.  I have had a fabulous mentor since I began leading small group who was previously my small group leader but at the start of last year I wasn't mentoring anyone and there wasn't anyone obvious at the time that might step into that role.  I did the only thing possible and started praying and within 2 months I had my co-leader.  It has been fantastic to have someone walking along beside me and taking over some of the leaders responsibilities.  We work well together.  She picks up in all the areas where I'm lacking and allows me to work in my areas of strength (mainly making smart alec comments haha).  This year I hope to develop this more ... the partnership ... not the smart comments.
  • We will also be continuing to sever as a family once a month at dinner tonite.
  • Last year I helped a friend set up from scratch a mainly music program.  We've managed to recruit some helpers but for the time being I'll continue to be involved in this maybe in a reduced capacity.
  • I'm going to commit again to follow our church's two year bible reading plan.
  • I going to try to be more organised in the afternoons so we aren't under as much stress and help the kids organise themselves to get everything they need to do done.  Big Girl is in her last year of primary school this year.
  • Probably one of the biggest personal goals for me is to be a better example to the kids of patience and kindness.  It's no surprise to those closest to me that I can get downright nasty, in fact it's a constant battle to suppress my initial reaction when things don't go my way or someone encroaches into my time or space.  My action plan is to start praying ... the only way I'm going to move ahead in this area is by God's action.


I've also got a few other things that fall into the worth doing, need to do or want to do categories including my 39 things52recipes, a blog makeover, attend to my overblown google reader ... and adhoc computer filing, hem the girls uniforms (that's a must do this month), new52, play with my new kitchenaid and decide which 5 reading challenges to do this year (I'm going to be sensible and limit myself).

1 comment:

tamara said...

Mel these are great goals. I follow with interest how you go. Especially with the study. I hope you and your family have a fulfilling 2011