Friday, August 20, 2010

Chicken Pie

Time for the third recipe in my 52 Recipes series.  Pip is working her way through the AWW yellow box of recipes over on her blog and recently cooked a Chicken Pie.  I'm a sucker for a nice chicken pie and the weather has been perfect for pie eating.  Last Wednesday was awful ... rainy, blowing a gale and it was good to get home from swimming and sit down to this.

IMG_8729


1. Steam or boil chicken in the usual way until tender. Reserve 2 cups of strained stock. Remove skin and bones from chicken and cut meat into 2.5cm pieces.

Thanks to Pip's suggestion to cook the chicken ahead of time so that when it comes time to pull it apart you don't burn your fingers, I started in the morning. I threw the chicken into a large saucepan, added some celery offcuts I had in my freezer, an onion, half a carrot, parsley, bay leaf and some peppercorns. Covered with water then boiled it for a few hours. You can cook 2 hard-boiled eggs now too ... you'll use them later in the pie.

2. After school pickup I came home and assembled the pie. For the sauce I used the microwave. Melted 2tbs butter then added 2 tbs flour and cooked on high for 1min. Gradually added the reserved stock so I didn't get any lumps then cooked for approx 10mins on high, stopping every couple of minutes to give it a good stir.

3. I'm not a big fan of butter left in the bottom of the dish so instead of cooking the veges in butter I heated a little olive oil in my frypan then sauteed 125g mushrooms, 1/2 red capsicum and 3 green onions.

4. Add the vege mix, chicken and 1 tbs chopped parsley to the sauce. Pour into pie dish and let cool completely.

5. Top the filling with slices of hard-boiled egg. My kids don't like eggs that much so I only put these on half the pie. Top with a sheet of ready rolled puff pastry. Slit the top to let the steam escape.

6. Prepare some green veges to go with it. We had beans and broccoli.

7. Write out instructions for Hubby to cook the pie when he comes home from work.

IMG_8731


8. Come home from swimming to a clean kitchen and this ...

IMG_8730


YUM.

PS: Thanks to Hubby for his wonderful help XXX

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is going on the list for next week - looks delicious!

canpeg said...

That pie looks just divine, Mel :)

PS: Unfortunately the link to the buns is not working :( They look nice though :)