Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bread Recipes

One of the goals on my list this year was to perfect my bread recipe.  When I wrote the list I was using a bread maker to make my bread but the blade has since broken.  I don't usually use the machine to cook the bread so I decided to try using my food processor.  It's working well so far although it has a couple of cracks in the lid so I'm not sure how long it will survive.  The first loaf I wanted to get right was my everyday wholemeal that I use for the kids lunches.  I looked at quite a few recipes around the internet and played a little bit myself and have come up with this.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups wholemeal bread flour
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup milk
1 cup water

I mix all the ingredients in the food processor using the dough hook on low speed for about 5 mins.  Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Leave in a warm place until it has doubled in size (maybe 2 hrs depending on temp ... I leave mine close to the heater vent in winter.)

Day 204 - Making Bread


Turn dough out onto floured bench and shape into rough loaf shape. Place in loaf pan. Allow to rise for about an hour. Cook in moderate oven for 35mins.

IMG_8526



I also tried the no-knead bread which makes a yummy, crusty, rustic style loaf and I love it. You just need to decide you want it with plenty of time to spare because of the long rise time. Really, really worth it though, unfortunately it didn't last long round our place.

IMG_8588

I'm going to count that as #18 complete.

No comments: