Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“ I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.” January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb….

Written as a series of letters we are introduced to a cast of charming characters through their letters. As Juliet is drawn into the lives of the people of Guernsey and captivated by their stories of the German occupation ... so was I. Completely engaging and totally enjoyable this is currently occupying top spot for my favourite book read this year.

1 comment:

Amy said...

It was book of the year for me last year - I absolutely loved every moment!