Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A post about food

Last week we had a birthday at small group and my Big Girl volunteered to cook the cake while Little girl made the birthday card.  I'd decided to go with a raspberry buttermilk cake.  I had the recipe on my computer so I was yelling out directions to my girl but she kept thinking I was saying 1/2 cup instead of 1/2 tsp ... there was a lot of "no, no, teaspoon ... t e a s p o o n not cup"  Anyway we got the batter done and I gave the kids the beaters while I poured it into the pan.  Next thing I hear the kids talking about salt so I tasted the batter and it was disgusting.  Turns out Big Girl had put 1/4 cup of salt instead of 1/4 teaspoon.  The Boy enjoyed telling Hubby that Big Girl made "the worst cake ever".  Big Girl was a good sport and whipped up another cake which got rave reviews from everyone in small group.


Every couple of days I've been going out into the garden and coming back with these ...

IMG_7371


I didn't realise cherry tomato plants were that productive. I wash them and put the bowl on the dining table and the kids snack on them throughout the day. The normal tomatoes are going well too. So far we've had tomatoes in salads, made tomato relish and fresh tomato pasta sauce which made enough for dinner plus two lots for the freezer.  The sauce is really easy.  Just heat a tbs oil in a pan over medium heat, add some crushed garlic and lightly brown, peel and chop your tomatoes, put them in the saucepan, cook up for about 30 mins over low heat, then add a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs.  It's a lovely light tomato sauce ... we had it with ricotta and spinach agnolotti.

Now it's time to go out a pick another lot of tomatoes and I'm wondering what to do with this lot ... suggestions?


If you're looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal, tonight we had Cook’s Illustrated’s Chicken Curry in a Hurry (scroll down to the bottom of the post) ... so, so easy and tasty ... plus the kids ate it ... although I won't lie and say it was without complaining.

2 comments:

canpeg said...

Glad you are getting lots of tomatoes, Mel. You can do so much with them. I like the look of that Curried Chicken, too, so must try that one :)

Amy said...

We don't have a vegie garden but my parents do and their cherry toms are rampant! Eating them the same way as you - straight from the bowl .... delicious! The sauce sounds yummy - will give it a try.