Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Road The Road by Cormac McCarthy

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Set in a post apocalyptic world where the only living things left are humans scavenging for whatever food they can find in abandoned buildings and towns or preying on their fellow survivors. Through this bleak world The Man and The Boy journey towards the coast.

I began this because when I had a few spare minutes picking the kids up and was enthralled from the start, so much so that I ditched the todo list when I got home and devoured it greedily. McCarthy's spare prose is mesmerising, bleak, beautiful and devastating. I'm sure this will be in my top ten books this year, a must read.

1 comment:

Jenners said...

I read this a few years ago and it was so bleak and depressing. I think McCarthy did a brilliant job of creating a realistic dystopian world ... it seems like it would be JUST LIKE that and not so much like some of the other dystopian worlds I've read about ("Catching Fire" comes to mind.)