Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lemongrass Beef ... kind of.

IMG_6649


This has become a new easy favourite in our family.  I adapted it from a Donna Hay recipe in the Sunday HeraldSun's magazine.  I find many recipes like this don't have enough different ingredients to make a proper meal so I added carrots and noodles.


2 tsp vegetable oil
1 lemongrass stalk
1 garlic clove crushed
400g beef
2 tbs lime juice
2tbs castor sugar
2 tsp fish sauce
1 carrot julienned
1 pkt bean thread noodles
Baby cos lettuce, leaves separated.
1/4 cup coriander leaves

Soak the noodles in warm water for 15 mins.  Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over high heat.  Add the lemongrass. garlic and beef and cook 5-8mins, breaking up any lumps, until browned.  Add the carrots, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and cook for  a further minute.  Toss through the noodles.  Spoon into lettuce cups, sprinkle with coriander.

71 - Beef and Noodles in Lettuce

Now I'm a notoriously bad recipe follower, partly because I'm disorganised, but also because I like throw extra things in.  You can see above I haven't sprinkled it with coriander ... that was because I forgot the coriander and left it sitting in the fridge where it still is.  This week I also added some cucumber because we have a huge crop coming off our one plant at the moment.  I also had to make it without lemongrass because the supermarket didn't have any ... hence the title.  My point?  If you don't have everything you need don't worry too much and feel free to add whatever you may happen to have.

No comments: