Sunday, February 14, 2010

Where is the Love?

I've never really been a fan of Valentine's Day but this year I started to think maybe it isn't such a bad thing to show our appreciation for the people we love ... but I'm not going to buy into the whole Hallmark Card Celebration.  Actually I've been a little hard to live with the last week or so ... maybe some handmade sentiments will go a little way to making it up to my very understanding and indulgent family.

URLoved.jpg


I don't know about you but I can relate when Paul says in Romans 7:19 "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing" It seems whatever my intentions to show love whatever the cost, it's not long before they are replaced by anger, impatience and unkindness.

Jen recently blogged about planning to love.  It's worth clicking over to read the whole post.  She brings up a good point that often the disconnect between our professed beliefs and our actions is because showing love will interfere with what we had planned.
"because all too often, I'm faced with a choice between getting done what I wanted to do or treating another human being with kindness, and I can't do both."
 For a while now I've tried to make sure I have enough slack in my schedule so that if someone suddenly needs support or help I am available but still find that often when I snap at the kids, get angry and frustrated and am impatient it's because things aren't happening the way I planned them or people are getting in the way of me doing something I wanted to do.

I think another major factor in not loving for me is just being tired.  Being an introvert I find being around people tiring and you can't love without being around people, usually I can hold it together in public but then I just don't have anything left for my family.  Even for extroverts it's hard to be patient and kind when you haven't had enough sleep and when faced with all the need around, our families, friends, the people we meet for a fraction of our day in the shop or the street and the overwhelming need of those living in extreme poverty it is so easy to become tired.

So what's the answer?  It is true there are some things we can do ... get enough sleep, eat well, drink plenty of water and exercise ... allow downtime in our schedules and "plan to love" but I don't think we can do it on our own.  This week while I've been mulling these thoughts over two verses I read in my daily bible reading gave an answer to this question.

In Acts 3:19 Peter is preaching to the crowds and says this "Repent then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord"  I am going to fail but when I do if I turn to God he wipes that out and refreshes me.  I need to go to God, spend time with him and let him refresh me, let him give me the resources and let his plans become my plans.

The second verse was Ecc 4:10 "If one falls down his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up"  We are stronger when we work together, supporting and encouraging each other, spurring each other on to love and good deeds.

This week be refreshed by God and be encouraged by your family.

1 comment:

Rose City Reader said...

Amen! Thanks for the thoughtful post. Good reminders. Have a happy Valentine's Day.