Saturday, February 27, 2010

Watchmen by Alan Moore

Watchmen Watchmen by Alan Moore

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I picked this to read as part of the Take Another Chance Challenge, challenge 6: genre switchup.  I've never read any graphic novels and I figured may as well start with this which is usually listed as must read graphic novel.

Set in an alternate 1985 where costumed heroes are real and the world is drawing inexorably closer to nuclear war. Costumed heroes which first appeared after World War II have been outlawed and most are retired or working for the government when the murder of an ex-hero leads to the others joining forces and donning costumes once again.

The plot skips between place and time with multiple story lines occupying the same panels. Being new to the genre it took a little while to get used to the format and remember to look at the pictures. Luckily for me much of the back story was provided fictional documents at the end of each chapter.

None of the characters in this are likeable, which I think was the point, but it's very hard to identify with them. There are some important issues addressed in the book but mainly this is through fairly long winded dialogue. The pictures are very gory which I suppose appeals to the target audience but I didn't like it. I'm not sure whether graphic novels are for me or just this one didn't suit. I'm unsure whether I'll wade into this genre again or not.

Oh yes, you must go and check out Jenners graphic novel review ... funny and clever.

1 comment:

Jenners said...

Well, I'm here to tell you that not all graphic novels are like this one ... mine wasn't gory or gruesome. I think you picked an uber-boy one! But hey ... at least you tried. I think you should give it another go but pick a more "girlish" one!

: )