Saturday, February 6, 2010

Eclipse and Animal Farm

Eclipse (Twilight, #3) Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So this was better than number two in the series, a bit more happening, but Bella still annoying and Edward a bit boring, I think I'm a Jacob fan, at least he has a sense of humour.




Animal Farm (Penguin Modern Classics) Animal Farm by George Orwell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Orwell's tale of a worker's revolution gone wrong, where the "workers" are animals on Manor Farm is a classic so having never read it at school I thought I'd better round out my education. Originally written with communist Russia in mind but parallels can be found with numerous revolutions since where liberation from one set of leaders is eventually replaced by even greater tyranny.

One thing that struck me was the way the sheep drowned out any discussion with mindless bleating. By the time they'd finished chanting their slogans everyone else had forgotten what they were going to say and with repetition the animals figured well it must be right then. Even in a democracy it is common for debate to descend into slander, mindless repetition of slogans and sound bites so that no one really listens to anyone else and people with an opinion that goes against the accepted line are dismissed and given derogatory labels.

I'm glad I finally got round to reading this.

2 comments:

helena said...

must read Animal Farm again - so clever but also very readable and as you say the messages still hold.

Amandac said...

I haven't read Animal Farm yet - even with an Arts Degree I haven't gotten around to it but thanks so much! You reminded me that I really want to - that and 1984! Must go get a copy of both!