My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I read the first three Earthsea books in early high school and loved it and rereading I can see why. The well realised fantasy world, realistic characters and a lovely, simple old world writing style combine with fast moving plots and thought provoking treatment of evil to give a very satisfying read. I remembered the first book reasonably well, in spite of the many years since I read it, but the others were not so familiar. This time around my favourite was probably The Tombs of Atuan.
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I found the Twilight series rather addictive, especially reading them over the summer holidays but this is definitely the weakest book. I just wish Bella could be a little more sure of herself, I know teenage girls often have self-esteem issues, but this dips too often into the pathetic. My recommendation ... read it quick and move onto the next one.
and more challenges ... I know you might say I'm addicted :)
Mind Voyages Reading Challenge
Moon Voyage : Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo Winners List
Sling shot back to Earth: Read at least 3 winners on the Nebula Winner's List
Venus Voyage: Philip K. Dick Quest - Read at least 2 of his books
Mercury Voyage: Robert Heinlein Quest - Read at least 2 of his books
Mars Voyage: Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo List and take a side trip through the 21st century and read at least 4 nominees.
Go into Warp Drive and visit the other planets
Jupiter Voyage: Go side tripping 90's Style
Saturn: Go Side Tripping 80's Style
Uranus: Go Side Tripping 70's Style
Neptune Voyage: Go Side Tripping through the 50's and 60's
The I'm going to Pluto because Pluto is still a planet as far as I'm concerned Voyage: Mix it up, choose the number of books you want to read from each voyage, include some new books you pick up along the way and enjoy the ride.
The Rules are simple:
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010.
- Participants may join at any time.
- All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc.
- Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2010.
- Books may overlap other challenges.
- Create an entry post linking to this blog.
- You don't have to decide before hand what you will be reading.
- Come back and sign up with Mr. Linky in the "I'm participating post" below this post.
- You don't have a blog to participate.
- I'll be adding a post with Mr. Linky for participants to post book reviews.
I think I'll go with Pluto, mainly because it gives me some flexibility.