Thursday, January 28, 2010

Develop on fridays :: lesson one | your creative voice

I've decided to join in Develop on fridays, a creative photography 'study group’ led by Jefra Starr Linn. It’s going to consist of a post and an assignment each friday on the paislee press blog.

The first lesson is all about finding your creative voice and here's the assignment:


Take at least 75 photos. Maybe more. That’s up to you. But start out without restraints on how many photos you take. And it needs to be of one thing, one subject.

(I feel like with photography, as with any other art form, I need to get warmed up. Usually the first 50 shots are pretty dry and once I get warmed up and the creative juices flowing I start really working with my own muse symbiotically.)

Now after at least 75 photos, find the one photo that you feel, out of all those photos is the closest to how you see and what you see. Post that. Also, to give us a little context, post your top five runners up for your number one choice.


I started out on Wednesday and decided to photograph the corn patch in the garden ... took the 75 or so photos and nothing jumped out at me ... yep, 75 photos of blah.  Then I thought of the tea cups my MIL sent with Hubby when we married and thought they would be a perfect subject.  We have one window in our house which faces north and so has quite good light throughout the day so I set up there and took photos in two sessions ... one with the sun coming fairly full in the window and later once it had moved to the side.  The only problem was I got back from a four week holiday this week so I had to dust before I could start.

My #1 pick:

Teacups1


And the four runner-ups:

Teacups2


Teacups3


Teacups4


Teacups5

4 comments:

Liz said...

LOVE the focus on the handle...and i LOVE your subject. I did my first lesson on tea cups too. :)

Gina said...

oooh, neat shots!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

i'm jefra... said...

beautiful!