Saturday, December 19, 2009

A quick roundup of some books I've been reading.

I realised that apart from my Thomas Nelson books I haven't posted at all about what I've been reading since I got home from our trip.  So here's a quick roundup with very short comments.

The Forgotten Garden The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"A foundling, an old book of dark fairy tales, a secret garden, an aristocratic family, a love denied, a mystery The Forgotten Garden is a captivating, atmospheric and compulsively readable story of the past, secrets, family and memory from the international best-selling author Kate Morton. "

My mum lent me this book and I loved it. I must admit I have a soft spot for tales that cover characters in different times and links them all together. Even though I solved the puzzle well before the main character it didn't ruin the story. Highly recommended.




Like Water for Chocolate: A Novel in Monthly Installments with Recipes, Romances, and Home Remedies Like Water for Chocolate: A Novel in Monthly Installments with Recipes, Romances, and Home Remedies by Laura Esquivel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved the uniqueness of this story, the fantastical elements woven seamlessly into the everyday. Loved the whimsy and passion and the little taste of traditional Mexican cooking was a bonus. Very easy read but enchanting, definitely recommended.




Persuasion Persuasion by Jane Austen

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An enjoyable read with Austen's trademark wit and amusing view of society. The heroine is Anne Elliot and she is wonderful and a mature women who finally knows what she wants and gets it.





Rites of Passage (Faber Fiction Classics) (To The Ends of the Earth 1) Rites of Passage by William Golding

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is written as the journal of Edmund Talbot as he sails from England to Australia and his observations of life on board. At first I found it hard to get into but it was worth persevering with and in the end a good story. I really liked the journal style it was written in.


Rabbit, Run Rabbit, Run by John Updike

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Great writing but the depiction of life in this book is sad and depressing really.

1 comment:

Photographing Mom said...

Agreeing with your review of The Forgotten Garden!! Have you read The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, also? It's really good, too!!