Saturday, December 12, 2009

Kabul 24 by Ben Pearson and Henry Arnold

Kabul 24 Kabul 24 by Ben Pearson


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read Kabul 24 by Ben Pearson and Henry Arnold as part of Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Bloggers program. This is the story of the SNI aid workers held by the taliban in Afghanistan just before the 9/11 attacks. They were held for 105 days in horrid conditions and subjected to interrogations and intimidation. I remembered hearing their story in the media at the time and was very interested to read about it in more detail.

The actual story is very inspiring. The workers faith in God and his providence continued throughout the ordeal even through immense stress but we also see that they are normal people that still experience times of despair. We also get to see how the support of each other throughout their time in captivity helped maintain their faith and sanity. I was interested to read that quite a few returned to work in Afghanistan. Their love and concern for the people of Afganistan definitely showed through in this retelling of the story.

What let down the book for me was the writing. At times it read like a school report which prevented me from becoming fully engaged with the people and the situation they found themselves in and it was only the fact that this was a true story that captured my interest. I still rate it worth the read especially if you are interested in true stories of faith and missionaries.

No comments: