Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Last of the Broad Beans

It rained on the weekend.  Actually that's an understatement - what do you call it when you get 1 months rainfall in 1 day?  After the wind and rain the broad beans were lying down so yesterday I went out and quickly picked the beans that were still hanging around.  I'll miss the kids wandering out to pick them and eat them fresh out of the pod after school.

IMG_4422edit

I never realised broad beans pods were so soft and fluffy on the inside.

IMG_4423edit

Here they are all podded and steaming away.

IMG_4424edit

My favourite way to eat these ... lemon and fetta salad ... yum,yum.  I'm not much for using a recipe, basically I just take the broad beans, add some fresh mint, lemon zest, juice of a lemon, marinated fetta plus a little bit of the marinating oil and some pepper and salt to taste.

IMG_4425edit

If you like to follow a recipe you could try this one.

2 comments:

sharyncarlson said...

Looks gorgeous and so very yummy!

Amy said...

Yum, yum,yum,yummmmmmm!
What a great idea for the beans - I'm going to make this on the weekend ... I've got a thing for lemon and mint at the moment! Oh, and feta.