Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Harry and Us

A couple of months back Hubby and I watched the movie Marley and Me. I laughed and laughed at the start then bawled my eyes out at the end. Why? Probably because of this:

IMG_0975edit

Harry joined our family 11.5 years ago and we used to joke he was our trial baby. Harry ripped the paint off the wall in the laundry where he had to sleep at night as a puppy and when he graduated to outside we would hear him gnawing on the house outside. We've since moved and left the behind all the bitten corners.

He chewed some of the camelias and roses down to nothing, dug holes in the lawn, ripped up brand new plants, got into the playroom and ate every single lego tyre, needed major abdominal surgery to remove a skipping rope from his bowel and in spite of having the snip continued to hump people's legs when they came round to visit.

He went to obedience training and at the final show day by the time it was his turn around the ground he was so excited I just managed to drag him around the square until the final section where he jumped up and humped my leg ... we didn't hang around for a chat afterwards but slunk out in disgrace never to return.

But he has also been ridden on, endured little fingers up the nose and in the mouth with gentleness, raced like a mad thing round and round the garden with the kids, had cuddles, been painted and is just there with his big grinning, slobbering mouth in the morning and a wag of his tail ... in short you couldn't get a better dog for three kids to grow up with.

IMG_1137

IMG_5297

So why did I think of this today? ... because Harry is getting old and today I had to take him to the vet to discuss what our options are to deal with his nerve damage. It was only a couple of months ago that I took this photo ...

IMG_0979edit

We have some time ... he still managed on the weekend to jump up on my sister and hump her leg ... *giggle*.

1 comment:

tamara said...

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your family has many happy memories preserved.