Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Last Weekend in the Garden

After being away for four weeks with lots of rain and the start of spring the garden is in need of some attention. I think the weeds have been growing overtime but it's so good to see lots of green and also the first bunch of blooms on the roses.

backyard 050edit

I gave the vege garden a good tidy before I left but it now looks like this ...

backyard 047edit

the snow peas and broad beans are out of control. Even though it takes a bit of work it is so good to be able to go out into the garden to pick a bowl like this for a salad.

backyard 041edit

My cos lettuce has had a good workout, I've been picking leaves since August. I wonder how long it will go on for?

backyard 048edit

Hubby and I decided to build some more raised beds for the veges. The kids helped? him on the weekend.

backyard 037edit

We're sticklers for OHS around here ... check out the completely inappropriate footwear.

backyard 039edit

Little Girl considerately took off her dirty thongs before coming inside ... too bad about her black feet ... I now have dirty footprints all over the bathroom floor.

The finished product:

IMG_4360edit

The first bed is my salad bed with snowpeas, cucumber, baby carrots and beetroots, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and some herbs. The second bed has beans,corn, pumpkin and zucchini. We have enough wood to build another two beds which we'll do in the next couple of weeks.

I also started some seeds inside this week. Yes they are in toilet rolls ... apparently you can plant the whole thing ... hopefully that's right.

backyard 045edit

Do you garden? Check out Kate's blog this week for her garden week.

1 comment:

katepickle said...

Oh your garden looks awesome! I am so envious of your lovely raised beds!
And definitely plant the whole loo roll... the roots will grow out of the bottom and the loo roll will get soggy and fall about real quick once in the dirt!
Thanks for joining in garden week!