Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sophie's Choice by William Styron

Sophie's Choice Sophie's Choice by William Styron

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Story wise I thought this was great, although heartbreaking. Sophie's back story was extremely engaging, I couldn't wait to hear more but most of the present part of story was tedious. A large part of the problem was how wordy the prose was, some sections seemed to go on forever and once I got to the end of them I was left thinking, so what was the point of all that? The other thing that really got on my nerves was the inclusion of Stingo's constant preoccupation with sex. Yes, it ties in with one of the final scenes but he could have done that without using so many pages ... actually chapters. Not a book I'm going to recommend to my friends and family.

Ref: Sunshine Smackdown

No comments: