Friday, May 1, 2009

Easter Books

I got a fair bit of reading done over Easter which was nice.

The Shadow of the Wind The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was a very enjoyable read. It had everything you could want in a novel. It was fascinating to see the threads between the characters drawn together as the story progressed. Wonderful twists and surprises, good writing and interesting characters makes this a definate recommendation from me.

Ref: A-Z Challenge


Devil's Brood (Eleanor of Aquitane, Book 3) Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman

rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sharon Penman is one of my favourite authors, I think I've read all her books, so when I was browsing the library shelves and came across her latest book I was thrilled. This is the final in the trilogy about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitane. It is a big read but worth it. Penman combines meticulous research with a wonderful fleshing out of historical figures to make an entertaining and informative read. This book covers a lot of territory so in some instances the story seemed to be moving too quickly. My favourite books of hers are the Welsh Princes trilogy but I would recommend this to anyone who is fascinated by other times.

Ref: A-Z Challenge, Historical Fiction Challenge


The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America by Bill Bryson

rating: 1 of 5 stars

I started reading this book but I really didn't like it. His observations were funny to begin with but after 40 pages it got a bit wearing, by 70 pages it just felt like elitist sneering. I haven't travelled round the US so I don't have any personal experience here. I filed this as read, although I didn't finish it and I hardly ever stop reading a book once I've started. Can't really recomment it.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Rose City Reader said...

Good to know. It's hard to stay playfully amusing for a whole book. Which doesn't mean we should have to read all the way through, even after it turns condescending.

tamara said...

Gosh I should start reading like you. I love reading just trying to find the books to read and expand my genre field.