Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hot Cross Buns

My sister and I have been busily baking in the last few weeks trying to find the best Hot Cross Bun recipe. I think we have a winner, taken from The Herald Sun on Tuesday (with some minor variations). In a bread machine in the following order:

1cup milk
30g melted butter
1 egg
500g bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
40g brown sugar
50g sugar
2tsp yeast
I have a nut dispenser in my bread machine but I couldn't fit all the fruit in the compartment so I added what I could and then when I heard the door drop I poured in what was left.
90g sultanas
90g currants

When the dough finishes turned onto floured surface, knead and cut into 16 pieces. Place on a tray. Mark tops with a cross then pipe the cross mixture (2 heaped tbs plain flour mixed to a piping consistency with water) on top. Allow to rise for 15mins then bake for 20mins in moderate oven. After cooking, while still hot, brush with a glaze of 1tbs sugar dissolved in 2 tbs water.

Big Girl piped the crosses, I just used a snaplock bag with the corner snipped out.
The finished product ... yum.

Also a reminder this easter buy fairtrade chocolate. Chocolatier's Fairtrade Eggs can be picked up at David Jones and selected Safeway and Woolworths stores.

3 comments:

tamara said...

Yum. Tomorrow I am doing this with my 3. Might even try your recipe. I think we will make marshmallow Easter eggs too.

Anonymous said...

WOW, congratulations, girls. These buns look fab, Mel.

Deb.

A-M said...

They look delicious.