Monday, October 6, 2008

September Roundup

It's time to get my monthly roundup done.

Photography

My project 365 is still going strong, September 30th was Day 89. Here's my September photos:
I also did the September's portrait challenge at Photochallenge.org. My portraits: Books:

I did a fair bit of reading this month.


Surprised by Hope by Tom Wright - Great thought provoking book challenging our thoughts on what happens after death. I will probably reread, take some notes and share my thoughts later this month.


The Divine Mentor by Wayne Cordeiro - A book on personal bible reading and journaling. It is no secret that I believe personal and regular bible study is imperative in Christian growth. I found that much of what he advocates is pretty much along the lines of what I already do but he also shared how the personal bible study can be translated into a group setting. I think our church is planning on a push for people to follow a church wide bible reading plan which I think will be great. I hope they also include the kids if not I think we'll try to do it as a family, the kids can just read a shorter portion of the daily reading.


The Shack by William P Young - This book has been fairly controversial and so I thought I'd give it a read. I felt it had both good and bad points.


Brother Fish by Bryce Courtenay - I found the story OK but I didn't like the lead character much and because the story was written using his "voice" I found the writing a bit irritating. His power of One books are still his best in my opinion.

Scrapbooking


I didn't do much scrapbooking this month. We were on holiday for two weeks so that took a fair amount of the month and before the holiday I had kids sick at home.


I finished this one for the sketch challenge at nuts4digi.com. House Athletics 2006, I used my daughters acrostic poem she wrote at school for the journaling.

I did this page when I got home with a photo from our holiday - Moment
and I also made an invitation for My Little Girls birthday party using the Delightful collection from weeds and wildflowers.

The Word

I like to look back each month and recap what God's been teaching me. This month I found that truth, blindness and our tendency to only hear what makes us feel good - what we want to hear.
I also found that these things came up in conversation with various people over the course of the month as well. I'll just give some of the verses from this months readings.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead to suit there own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
2Tim 4:3-4

- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him because it neither sees him or knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
John 14:17

The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil.
John 7:7


Special Times

We drove to Noosa for a holiday see here, here, here and here.

My Little Girl had her turned 7.

The Rest:

Did the training to be a mentor at a local high school.

The children's pastor at our church left in June to start a children's program at Essendon Baptist and was asked to be on the search committee as a parent. We started interviewing this month.




2 comments:

Mousey said...

Woah you've been busy!! I'm loving all the photos you're taking :o)

Kelly said...

Great photos! Love the idea of a month re-cap post, sounds like September was a pretty busy month for you.