Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Big Girls gone to Camp

I wasn't too worried about My Big Girl going on camp - thought I'd be fine, I mean we've left the kids for a couple of weeks before, but as I was packing her case yesterday I started to feel a bit sad - she was excited to the point of driving me crazy.
Everything seemed to be going well this morning- she got up, had her breakfast, but when I got her pants she insisted they weren't hers that they were her sisters. (Big Girl only wore them last week - I had to get them out of the ironing basket and iron them this morning)


Then followed -

Tears

Suggestions to wear something else

Hiding under the doona (Big Girl, not me)

"I don't want to go to camp"

Consolation, hugs

"You are going to camp, and I don't think you want to go in your pyjamas"

Several pleas to God from me

"My tummy hurts"

"You know your tummy hurts when you get scared, I know it's new and scary but you will have fun"


With minutes to spare she put on her clothes and we drove to school. I breathed a sigh of relief. I'd had visions of having to pick her up and carry her in her pyjamas into school. With a bit of a push she went to her friends. The last I saw was her walking off holding hands with her friend with a huge smile on her face - too bad my stomach was tied in knots.


I felt like I'd been through the wringer but I still had The Boy to take to kinder before I headed to the gym. At the car The Boy refused to hop back in - "I don't want to go to kinder" - but that's a whole other story - at least he's still light enough to carry into kinder without breaking my back.

4 comments:

JanMary said...

I am sure she will have a wonderful time, but it is a hard mummy moment. My eldest has her first trip in January, she can't wait (so far!).

Barb said...

Awwww. My dd is 12 and she loves camp! She can't wait to go again next summer!

Gurl On The Sun said...

Its so funny to read about you getting your daughter ready for camp when here in New Hampshire we are getting ready for snow!! I hope she has a wonderful time!! Camp is such a great thing for kids...it builds confidence, self esteem, and its TONS of fun!!! :)

Flora said...

I would be nevous too. My girls are still to young for camp. But Im sure she will have a blast..