Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Homemade Bubbles

My kids love blowing bubbles - I think ALL kids probably love blowing bubbles. At My Little Girls recent birthday party I put bubble mixture in the lollybags as the little gift. So of course what do you think happens - The Boy opens his and promptly pours it all over the ground ... a regular occurrence especially with younger kids. Anyway he fills up the bottle with water and cracks the sads when he can't blow any bubbles.
A while ago, I think it was last year, we went to scienceworks and they had a little show where they made bubble mixture but I couldn't remember the recipe and of course I didn't keep the take home sheet. So I consulted the source of all knowledge - the Internet, and quickly came up with the recipe. Here's The Boy with the recipe.

1/2 cup dish soap
1 1/2 cups water
2 tsp sugar
and of course if you're going to get all homemade one of those tiny plastic bubble wands just won't cut it, so we made our own giant bubble wand out of a coat hanger, electrical tape and some string. Unfortunately in my enthusiasm the wand ended up too big to fit in any containers we had so we had to make a little bend in the middle. Ethan was quite impressed with his giant bubbles.

5 comments:

Barb said...

Very creative!

Mousey said...

That looks so cool! I'm making note of that recipe for when we finally run out of bubble mixture (we seem to have a collection at the moment!)

evitangel said...

wow those bubbles are looking amazing!

SarahB said...

Great easy bubble recipe! We'll have to try that here! Looks like the kids had lots of fun!

Jacinda said...

I am so going to try that bubble recipe! I've enjoyed reading your blog too.