Friday, September 5, 2008

I Have Evidence ...

that I am a domestic goddess. Yep that's right - pikelets for afternoon tea. Of course there could be an alternate explanation - I forgot to make sure I had something in the pantry for when my Big Girl was bringing home a couple of playmates. Normally I'd find some dry biscuits and tell the kids to hit the fruit bowl but with friends over I thought I better make some effort. The guests are good kids and we want them to come back again. Anyway my Little Girl looks pretty chuffed. But what's this? No I'm not trying to permanently damage The Boys hearing - look he asked to turn it on. We're making Dad's favourite slice - Raspberry Jam Coconut Slice.
You know how some people are naturally thoughtful - they remember birthdays, bring stuff when they visit, remember to ask how your latest whatever went - that's not me. In fact I'm really bad at it. A couple years ago at Christmas we were sitting at the table after lunch and dad gets us to share something someone did that made you feel good from the last year. My little sister shares how I rang her in London to wish her a happy birthday. Then goes on to say it felt so special because I never remember birthdays. Yep, that's my plan - to be completely thoughtless so when I finally do something nice you feel really special. Anyway I've decided to try to be a bit more thoughtful and less self-centred. Bear with me - I'm coming to my point, this weekend we're going to the holiday house with mum and dad to do some gardening and so I figured I could start now. Instead of freeloading off my extremely generous parents I rang mum and said not to worry about dinner for Saturday because I'll bring it. So tonight I'll make a lasagna but this afternoon I made the slice to take down.

I didn't have quite enough coconut but that's OK - recipes often get modified in our house, must be a legacy of my days in the Monash Chemistry department. Here's my free timer that I use so I don't forget to pull it out of the oven - I sometimes forget. My chemistry days were spent with mainly instantaneous reactions or ones that went for days so I didn't need a timer then.
The finished product. I had to have a piece so you could all see the inside. The space really looks bigger than it is (the angle and everything - honest).
I also got a birthday book - now I just have to write all the birthdays in.

5 comments:

Laura said...

ooo, the food looks yummy! Now I'm hungry!

Angie (mighty-nice) said...

I can relate to the forgetting birthdays - but my problem not actually forgetting them but putting off mailing the cards until the day of the birthday so it LOOKS like I've forgotten!

onescrappymom said...

Hmmm Your dessert looks YUMMY!! I want a slice!!

photoshopsusieq said...

Now I'm hungry and it's too late to eat! :(

JanMary said...

Even if it does not happen too often I am inpressed by your inner domestic goddess - my kids would be amazed if I baked for them coming home from school.

Thanks for dropping by my blog - see, if you get some cute pink stripy bags, your husband is much less likely to "borrow" them :)