Monday, September 1, 2008

August Roundup

Photography

I kept going with project365 this month that takes me up to day 60.

I also took part in the World Wide PhotoWalk. They had about 8000 people around the world take part. Everyone's photos from the Melbourne walk are here.

I blogged about my messy hard drive this month so I am trying to keep my photos organised a bit better. I decided not to keep so many of my photos so as I upload them to my computer I try to delete the ones I don’t need and also do the editing. This makes me a bit more ruthless because I only keep what I’m prepared to spend a bit of time editing. Then I upload the edited photos to my flickr account. I keep the original and edit on my computer as well. For August all my photos are edited and uploaded

Scrapbooking

The server change at nuts4digi has not gone according to plan so the shop has been out of action for the month so I haven’t done any CT layouts but I have been doing a few challenges.

I completed 7 layouts this month:
Best Friends
Blossom
Proud
Sold

Out of the Box
Remember to Breathe

Swimming Lessons (pg 1)

My Swimming lessons page was highlighted on the We Are Storeytellers blog.

In my effort to clean up my hard drive I have sorted out my scrapbooking supplies and backed them up on DVD’s. From now I plan to back-up and organise at the end of each month, hopefully this way it will stay in control. I still need to tackle getting my layouts ready to print in books.


Reading
This month I didn’t get heaps of reading done. I read An Open Swimmer by Tim Winton.

I also did some reading to prepare for some of the questions from my mum’s group:
Religion is for Fools by Bill Medley - very accessible discussion of why believe.
Alpha by Nicky Gumble – this is the material presented on the DVD’s in the Alpha course presented in book form.
The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas and Michael Licona – a thorough defense of Jesus’ resurrection. Presents the historical evidence for Jesus’ resurrection and rebuts common arguments against.

The Word

I’ve been following a daily plan to read through the Bible in a year but it takes a different part of the bible for each day of the week which is good because I don’t get stuck in numbers for weeks on end. The other thing is that you can see the same themes running through the whole bible. This month the main thing that kept coming up was trusting and believing in God. It was not people’s deeds that made the difference but their trust in God. It’s good to be constantly reminded that it is not our own effort that gains us salvation but our faith. We can only approach God because he has first come to us. We need to love God and trust in Jesus out of that everything else flows.

Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the Lord when
you heard what I had spoken against this place and its people, that they
would become accursed and laid waste, and because you tore your robes and wept
in my presence, I have heard you, declares the Lord
2Kings 22:19
We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your
great mercy
Dan 9:18

...and the final word comes from Jesus himself:




Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus
answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent”
John 6:28-29

Special times

We went to Mt Buller for the weekend skiing.

We celebrated the birthdays of two nephews.








The Girls celebrated Bookweek at school.



All the rest
Our small group has been serving dinner and cleaning up afterwards at the Alpha course.






I started a group for mum's at school and kinder who wanted to look into Christianity or go deeper into faith. Basically to discuss, support, encourage and pray.

The Boy had his school age immunisations and also had his interview at school. He starts prep next year, it will be a bit weird to have all three at school.

I organised dinner at Mylyn for the girls from small group which was great fun and yummy food.
We went out for tea with the parents from My Big Girl's class.

Check out the original monthly roundup at Katie the ScrapbookLady

7 comments:

Hanne79 said...

Such a great blog. Love the pictures with the birtdaycake, and the photoproject sounds really interesting.

Elaine said...

Wonderful photos. That's great that you are keeping up on your 365 project, I only lasted a month on mine

SarahB said...

Great work keeping your photos under control and staying current with your backups!

Mrs. Miles said...

Wow - you've been BUSY behind that lens. I envy you the time to do all this, as designing eats up a lot of mine. I'm not complaining as I love to design, and we can only do a few things WELL, right?

I too, file my stuff chronologically, and back up when the months change... its a cue thats hard to miss. I back up both to my ehd and to CD - I WAS doing dvd's but they take FOREVER to load, so now I break it down and back up a month's photos to one CD, my designs to another, my templates to another, etc... I generally wind up with about 5 CD's - its not SO bad, and a LOT faster.

I really appreciate your scripture, and I'm glad I stopped by.

~ Barb (Mrs. Miles)

Eve said...

Wow you blog is great!! I will be popping by again! :)

Elouise82 said...

Sounds like a full month! I'm impressed and a little bit intimidated by the thought of digital scrapbooking ... I'm still fond of doing it the old-fashioned way. Although I'm sure my husband wouldn't mind if I suddenly had less supplies taking up space in our closet!

Kelsey said...

WTG that is awesome!