Saturday, July 12, 2008

Falls Creek '08 Part 1

We got back from a week at Falls Creek last night about 9:00pm. I've got a few photos to share and managed to keep up with at least a photo a day. I used a combination of my DSLR, point-and-shoot and camera depending on what I had on me at the time.

Friday 4th July

Got up and left home by 5:30 AM, which was a bit of a stretch for me. The kids had sandwiches in the car and we stopped about 8AM at the Glenrowan McDonalds for hotcakes. We got our first glimpse of snow on the ranges driving through the valley towards Mt Beauty.
We got up to Falls Creek, did the oversnow, got into our apartment and had some lunch in time for a few runs in the afternoon. The Boy had forgotten how to ski since last year so I had to ski him between my skis for a few runs. Then he had a go himself. He informed me "That he was going to do what he wanted" and proceeded to lose conrol down the hill, screaming and stopped by smashing into My Little Girl. The girls had no problems although they said it was boring being stuck on the beginners slope with the boy.


Saturday 5th July

The kids all started ski school and Hubby and I had a two hour lesson in the afternoon with Macca. This is our fourth year skiing and previously we'd always got 7 day lift and lesson tickets but this year we decided to go with just a few private lessons. Macca is a great instructor, he skis backwards sometimes yelling out instructions which I find really helpful. At one stage he said I was hurting his eyes - LOL. That was early in the week, after a few lessons my technique improved - I think. After a hard and cold day of skiing a hot chocolate was in order.
Sunday 6th July
Visibility was shocking in the morning. Trying to see ahead down the slope was a bit disorienting because it was a solid mass of white. Hubby made me lead. This is the bottom of Towers lift.


Monday 7th July
The weather was shocking on Monday. The snow line was around the height of the village which meant that the precipitation alternated between wet snow ans sleet and the winds were gale force. After a couple of hours skiing we were sopping and the snow was getting slushy so we called it a day. We swapped the kids mittens for dry ones at lunch then stayed inside until ski school pickup. After getting dry we went for a drink in the cafe with a nice warm open fire.

2 comments:

Scrap Evangel said...

Looks like fun times! Great photos.

ChrissyW said...

looks like a great time!!! that first photo is fantastic!!