Saturday, June 14, 2008

Small Group Life

My first invitation to a church activity was to a small group. I was hooked and I’ve been involved in a small group ever since. I just loved the friendships and the chance to really talk about important issues. I’ve led young adult small groups and been a member of three different adult groups over the years. I’ve had the privilege of sharing my walk in small groups with probably at least 100 people all of different ages, gender, marriage status and experience. I believe there is a lot of value in getting together like this as Christians.

Everyone is unique and because of this everyone has a unique relationship with God. As we study the bible together and share what we’ve learnt and also share our own stories and experience of God we gain a better understanding of who God really is. We can see a bigger picture of God and how he relates to his people. Meeting in a smaller group of believers gives us a chance to share these things more easily.

Small groups also give us a chance to practice love. I’ve found small group to be a place that we can get real with each other, share our challenges, hurts and triumphs. It also gives me the chance to learn to really listen, to value the person who’s not like me and to bear with each other when things aren’t perfect.

To my small group, thank-you for constantly challenging me and inspiring me, love you guys.

No comments: