Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Freedom in Christ

Read Galations 5-6 the other night. There's heaps to get stuck into there but a few things that stood out:

It is for freedom that Christ has set you free. Stand firm, then, and do not
let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Gal 5:1

and this:

Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself,
without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own
load

Gal 6:4-5


So I was having a complain to hubby about people trying to push their version of time with God onto me (down to when we should be alone with God - What's that about?, sorry, but I'm horrible in the morning). He reckons I just don't want to be told what to do. So I had to have a think about whether he was right and I have to admit that I'm wary about letting people put their expectations on me after working hard to break free of all that. The thing is my walk with God feels deeper than before. I'm excited to open my bible see what God has to say. At the moment I'm using a plan to read through the bible in a year which means there's fair bit to read but I love that because I love to read and I also get to read some parts of the bible that don't get much air time. I have my pen and just right down whatever pops up. I find that this often results in an extended conversation with God but not always. Usually I'll mull over stuff I've learnt the next day. This suits me but I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I also want to be open to trying other things as well, but I find it a turn off when people act like their way is the best and only way.

Our faith is not a paint-by-numbers exercise but a relationship with Jesus. Relationships take time and there is no shortcut to intimacy. We are all unique and we will all have a unique relationship with God. Let's share our experiences of God but lets not force others to follow us, we are making disciples of Jesus not mini-me's. Let's encourage each other to nurture a deep, growing and unique relationship with Jesus. Let's resist legalism and embrace our freedom in Christ.

No comments: