Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Everything is not under control ...

Everything is not under control ... well not mine anyway.

This really is a no-brainer but of course being human I have to give it a go. So being a mum I try to control my kids - a major exercise in futility ... their environment - and again not possible ... a clean house? - I have 3 kids who are not under my control ... hubby - not likely. I think the desire to control things and especially people ultimately leads to abuse and you can see that in most spheres of life (unfortunately including the church).

This year I've taken hold of God's promises, that he is in control and he wants good for me, and for the ones I love because He loves them too. I've known this in my head for ages but I see that I haven't lived it. I don't have to strive so hard, and worry, and plan because it isn't up to me. I'm not saying that in an I don't care, whatever happens, happens way, but more that I need to do just what God places in front of me in each day and let Him take care of the rest. I still dream and plan but I'm ready for the sudden right turn that puts me on a different track. I know it's part of being human to want to do it my way but when I put things in God's hands I'm free from fear and pressure to achieve and it's a win for everyone. Instead of striving for control I'm free to love the people around me and just enjoy them.
Then Jesus said to his disciples:"therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
Luke 12:22-26


No comments: