Sunday, April 22, 2007

Food for Thought - Routine

I've been reading Gordon McDonald's "Ordering Your Private World" and this passage jumped out at me.

"Because my time as a Christian leader is generally my own to use as I please, it would be very easy to avoid routine, unspectacular duties and give myself only to the exciting things that come along. But most of life is lived in the routine, the man or woman who learns to make peace with routine responsibilites will make the greatest contributions in the long run"

I've thought about this a bit over the last weeks. I think it is very applicable to mothers at home because although there are urgent things that need doing at particular times, large parts of our day are free for us to choose what we want to do and many of the things we need to do are very mundane. I often go through times where I struggle with all the routine (and frankly often quite boring) jobs involved in being a mother and running a house.

So what's the answer? First I need to believe these things are worthwhile and important. Most are because they contribute to both the short term and long term physical, emotional, or financial health of our family. Some may not be - maybe I've been doing them because that's what my mum did or to meet someone elses expectations and if that's the case I'm happy to get rid of them. The others though, just because they're important doesn't mean they're neccessarily exciting or interesting and that's where "making peace" comes in. If I don't, I find I get grumpy, snappy and resentful with my family - the very people I'm supposed to be serving. Every now and then I need to do an attitude check and sometimes I have to make myself think differently. Also a good holiday where you don't have to cook and clean never hurt anybody - LOL. So next time you're cleaning the toilet have a think about this.

Update on Hodge Podge #2

A funny thing happened on the weekend. Traci Murphy started a thread about my layout at DST because she wondered why only a few people had left comments. Now 47 people have commented it's a bit surreal actually. I was happy with this layout and figured other people liked it because I got 4 comments which was more than usual for my non-CT layouts. I only play the praise game for my CT layouts so more people look at them. But it definately wasn't better than a lot of other layouts posted that day. There was one little thing that I wasn't happy with (and I'm not telling what it was) but it would have taken too long to fix and I do have a life. A lot of people that had a look just wouldn't have seen it because of the huge number of layouts posted each day and most people don't have the time to spend looking at everything. I think an interesting question is - are people more inclined to look favourably on a layout if someone like Traci (a respected scrapper and designer) says she likes it?

Some people commented on the photo and to be honest it was a lucky shot - I didn't set it up. I saw Sara hanging from the equipment and just leaned over the top called her name and snapped the photo.

1 comment:

Kell said...

Woohoo finally made my way over to your blog! Love that LO you did for the Hodge Podge Challenge, just gorgeous :)